Sunday, May 20, 2012

Praline Bars


 


  
I had this recipe for years and I can't really tell where did it come from. Well, a few days ago I found it again in my wide recipe collection and decided to make them. I was pleased with the results! These bars are really  delicious. The bottom layer is a chewy brownie and the top layer reminds me of a cookie. The sides are crispy and, of course, the interior is chewy! 

P.s. Finally the good weather is here and I'm posting some of my photos!

PRALINE BARS

5 TB.(70g) unsalted butter
1/2 c. (115g) + 1 TB. Sugar

1/3 c. (40g) cocoa powder
pinch salt
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 large cold egg
1/4 c. (30g) AP flour

Position rack in lower third of oven.  Preheat to 350° (180C).  Line bottom and sides of an 8″ (20cm) baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.
Combine butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in a medium heatproof bowl and set in a wide skillet of simmering water.  Stir from time to time until mixture is melted, smooth and fairly hot.  Remove from skillet and set aside briefly until mixture cools a bit.
Stir in vanilla and egg with a wooden spoon.  When batter is thick and shiny, add flour and stir until mixed in.  Then beat vigorously for 40 strokes.  Spread evenly in lined pan.
1/4 c. (30g) AP flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
4 TB. (57g) butter, melted

1/4 c. + 2 TB. packed brown sugar
1/4 t. salt
1 large egg yolk
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1-1/2 c. coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans

Mix flour and baking powder together and set aside.
Combine melted butter, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.  Stir in egg yolk and vanilla. Then add flour mixture, followed by nuts.  Drop spoonfuls over the top of brownie batter.
Bake until edges of topping are well-browned, about 20-25 minutes (I baked them for 25 minutes but next time I'll try to bake them for 20 minutes to make them even chewier).  Cool completely in pan on a cooling rack.
Lift up ends of foil liner.  Cut now, or after refrigerating.

7 comments:

  1. Nice photos!!!

    And, about the bars, that combination between chewy brownie and cookie must be delicious!!
    They're cute on last photo!! I choose the one on the top :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I agree the one on the top looks the best in the last photo :D Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Wow that's a real must try recepie and wonderful feel good photos! I'll also have to try your peanut butter pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh I encourage you to try this! And especially peanut butter pie (it'm my favourite!)

      Delete
  3. Ive made something similar before and the combination is just heavenly! I would love to try this recipe out sometime for sure :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...