Saturday, September 28, 2013

Mushroom Pierogi








BEST pierogi you'll ever try. Challenging, but worth the effort!


Pierogi dough:*
500g flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
240ml warm water
2 tsp salt
4 tbsp sour cream

*You will only need to make half of the recipe. Or you can also double the ingredients for the filling and freeze some of the pierogi (what I did). You should get around 60 pierogi if you make the whole batch.

1) Place flour in a large bowl. Mix in the egg, water, salt and sour cream. Mix until well combined. Knead until you get elastic, soft but not sticky dough, about 10 minutes. 

2) Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rest while you prepare the filling.

3) Roll out the dough into 2-4mm thickness. Cut circles, fill them and pinch to seal. 


4) Boil 5-8 minutes, until floating. (I like to boil them longer as I like softer pierogi)

Pierogi filling:

400g mushrooms, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
pinch pepper

1) Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onions and saute over medium-high heat until softened and browned. Add  garlic and mushrooms. Stir to combine. Cover and cook until mushrooms start to release liquid. Uncover, increase heat and cook until all the liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.

Now you can fry your pierogi if you want them to be crispy. I browned half of them and can't really decide what tasted better. Try frying half of them and decide what you prefer.

butter, to fry (optional)
sour cream, to serve

1) Heat oil in a skillet. Place cooked pierogi into the skillet and brown both sides over medium-high heat. Top with sour cream and serve. Enjoy!

Recipe by collecting memories



8 comments:

  1. This looks So delicious. Looking forward to trying them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone in my life talks about Pierogis. I have never had one and now I have no excuse! These look amazinggggg!

    :D

    -Aya
    http://healthy-appetite.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you never had pierogi, you must try them!! You have no excuse :)

      Delete
  3. I love pierogi, but my recipe was a little different, well, more than a little, I like more how it looks this. Perhaps is not the recipe, perhaps is that you make things cute and I'm clumsy side haha, but I'll change next time for yours. And, hey, maybe it was the recipe! :P

    I love with mushrooms, but as my boyf doesn't it them, I'll fill some of them with meat or something, or I'm gong to die of eating pierogi :P

    As always, nice, nice, nice photos!!! You're great with camera!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I don't think you're clumsy! :D I see in your blog that you bake and shape things beautifully, so don't lie to me! ;D
      Thanks, as always :]

      Delete
  4. I did this recipe today and i fill them with ground meat...it was delicious. We ate with my husband with a glass of white wine..
    Thanks a lot!!
    Sophie from Greece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you, Sophie! Glad you liked it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...